A small historical reference
Kaunas - the second largest and most important city of the country, the center of Kaunas district, located in the central part of the country, at the confluence of the river Neris in Kaunas Reservoir. Date of foundation and the first written mention - 1361. Previous name - Kaunas, Kaunas. Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas in 1408 gave the city Magdeburg rights. From the middle of the XV century Kaunas was part of the Hanseatic League. In the years 1919-1939 - the capital of the Republic of Lithuania.
Sights - Castle (XIV century), the Church of Vytautas (around 1400), the Church of St. Gertrude (XV century), the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul (1413), Pazhaislis monastery (1662), the Church of St. Francis Xavier (1666), the Church of St. Michael Archangel (1895), the Church of the Resurrection, Kaunas fortress (1879-1915), Choral Synagogue (1872), House of Perkunas (XIV century), Town Hall (1542), Mosque (1860).