A small historical reference
Marijampole - center of Marijampole county and Suvalkija region - one of the four historic regions of the country, located in the south-west of the republic, on the river Sesupe, near the border with Poland and the Kaliningrad region of Russia. The first written mention - 1667. In 1717, the neighborhood was built homestead Prienai town mayor Count Anton Marcus Butler. Village Earl Butler transformed into trading place, called Staropoli. King Stanislaw August Poniatowski gave the city Magdeburg rights February 23, 1792.
In 1820-1829 he was laid through Marijampole highway St. Petersburg-Warsaw, the city's attractions - the gymnasium (1870), Church (XVIII century) and the monastery monks Marian Congregation of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.