A small historical reference
Klaipeda - the third largest city after the capital of Lithuania Vilnius and Kaunas, Klaipeda center, located on the west of the country, on the shore of the Curonian Lagoon, the Baltic Sea, one of the largest ice-free seaport. Dange River city is divided into two parts. Date of foundation and the first written mention - 1252. In 1252 the knights of the Livonian Order built a wooden castle Memelburg and then laid (1252-53) the city. Previous name - Memel. In 1254-1258, the Memel received Lubeck law and place of a wooden castle was standing stone, and next to it - trade settlement, based merchants, mainly Dortmund. Memel was an important trading port, to compete with Koenigsberg and Danzig.
Sights - lost temples Johann, St. Mary, St. Michael, and the Stock Exchange building, the remains of a fort on the Curonian Spit (XIX century), the castle (XV-XIX century), the stone and half-timbered warehouses (XVIII century), the building Magistrate (1770) , theater (1870) and post office (1904).