A small historical reference
Ludza - Ludza center of the region, situated on the east of Latvia, in Latgale. Surrounded by four lakes - Lielais Ludzas (Big puddle), Dunaklya, Zvirgzdenes and Runtortas. Fifth Lake - Mazais Ludzas (Little puddle) - in the city. All the lakes are interconnected by rivers and canals and channels. Date of first written mention - 1177. Before 1920 - the city Lucyn, Luzha. At the end of the XV century there was a castle of the Order of Ludza. In 1686 it was built a Roman Catholic church.
Attractions - Chapel of St. Thaddaeus (1738), post office (1929), the castle ruins Ludza (1559).