A small historical reference
In the XIII century on the site of modern Jaunjelgava castle was destroyed by the Crusaders. Subsequently, there was formed a settlement, known as Serena Neyshtedthen (it. Neustadtchen, «The new town"), then Ney Mita (germ. Neu-Mitau, "New Mitau"). In 1590 it was officially recognized by the Duke of Courland Friedrich. In 1621 Jaunjelgava was destroyed during the Polish-Swedish war, but was rebuilt. In 1647, by decree of the widow of Friedrich Magdalena received the status of the city called Husum. He survived several floods, fires, and in 1831 and 1848 - a cholera epidemic. From 1795 to 1924 was the county town. In 1812, Napoleon's troops took the city. In 1861 it was opened Rigaud Dvina railway linking Riga and Dvinsk (Daugavpils), in connection with which the waterway on the River Daugava has lost its meaning.