A small historical reference
Daugavpils - the center of Daugavpils county, the second largest and most important city after the capital of Riga Latvia is located in the south-east of the country, on the River Daugava (Western Dvina), close to the borders of Lithuania and Belarus. Date of first written mention - 1275. In 1582 the Polish King Stefan Batory granted Dinaburg Magdeburg Law.
Attractions - Castle of the Order (XIII century, destroyed by the Swedes in 1655), Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (1856-1864), the fortress (the first half of the XIX century), the church of Alexander Nevsky (built without a single nail) Gaёk water pumping station (1889) railway workshops (1866), Boris and Gleb Cathedral - the biggest Orthodox church in Latvia (1905), Church of the Assumption of the Virgin (1877), the Lutheran Church (1893), Bethesda "Kaddish" (Synagogue, 1850).