A small historical reference
German Wenden castle, built in 1213, served as one of the main centers of the Livonian Order and the residence of its masters. The German name is derived from the Wends - names once lived here ethnic group of uncertain origin - Livonian, Curonian or West Slavic - refugees from the north courses that in the XI century on the site Riekstukalns (Nut Hill) built his castle. This Vendian castle mound and was built next to a stone castle is the cradle of the city. In the Middle Ages the city was part of the Hanseatic League. Every year the General Chapter of the Order was going. Walther von Plettenberg, and a number of other masters are buried in the church of St. John.