A small historical reference
Bauska was founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1443, it became a city in 1511. Full rights of a town in 1609. Bauska Castle was founded in 1456 landmeysterom German Order in Livonia John von Mengede (it. Johann Osthoff von Mengede) (also called Bush Bushenborg and Baushkenburg). In 1625 the castle was taken by the Swedes during the Northern War in 1705 - Russian. In 1705 the strengthening of the castle were destroyed, and since then it is uninhabited. The ruins of the castle, and in recent years it has been restored.
In 1855, there were 6532 residents Bauske. While in the city were Orthodox chapel, the Lutheran church, two synagogues. There were also 1 tannery, brick 1 and 2 distilleries (brewery) plant. Ezhegodnaya Fair was held from 12 to 17 October.