A small historical reference
In VII-IX centuries on the territory of modern Almaty were several small settlements, one of which was supposedly called Almaty (Almaty) and is located on the Great Silk Road. In the X-XIV centuries. Alma-Ata became one of the commercial, craft and agricultural centers on the Silk Road, city, that has mint. In 1918, the city with the area became part of the Turkestan autonomy (Turkestan ASSR) within the RSFSR. February 5, 1921 it was decided to rename city Verny in Alma-Ata.
The first capital of Kazakhstan in 1916-1920 was the city of Semipalatinsk, at this time Alash Kala. Alma-Ata (until 1927 - Zailiyskiy, Verny) called the "second capital" or "southern capital". In the period from 1929 to 1936 the Alma-Ata became the capital Kazakh ASSR, from 1936 to 1991 - the capital of the Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic, from 1991 to 1997 - the capital of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The date of foundation of the city is February 4, 1854, when the government of the Russian Empire, it was decided to construct on the left bank of the river Small Almaty military settlement - the city Verny.