A small historical reference
Year of foundation of the city is considered to be 1323. But historian Theodore Narbut wrote that the city's founding date is 1180, and Lida then was part of the Duchy of Daynovskogo. In order to save the citizens from attacks of Tatars and Teutonic Knights in 1323 at the confluence of two rivers - Lidei and now virtually extinct Kamenka - on an artificial hill of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas he was laid Leeds Castle, which became a reliable shelter in moments of danger. It is preserved to this day and is now a symbol of Lida. In the XIV-XVI centuries Lida was one of the five largest cities in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The city was the center of Lida powiat Vilnius province. In 1795 Lida became part of the Russian Empire.