Author
Old photos of Nassau, Bahamas
Coat of arms of Nassau

Countries of World | Cities of The Bahamas

History of city Nassau, Bahamas in photos

A small historical reference

Geography:

Date of foundation: in 1670 as Charles Town

History: The town was burned by the Spanish in 1684 during one of their frequent wars with the English. It was rebuilt and renamed to Nassau in 1695 under Governor Nicholas Trott in honour of the Dutch Stadtholder and later also King of England, Scotland and Ireland, William III from the Dutch House of Orange-Nassau. The name Nassau derives from the House of Nassau and ultimately from the town of Nassau, Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany.

Population: 274 400

Sights:

Nassau. George Street
George Street, panorama of Government House

 
Nassau. Market Street
Market Street

 
Nassau. Rawson Square
Rawson Square

 
Nassau. Silk Cotton tree
Silk Cotton tree
Nassau. The Arch
The Arch
Nassau. The Public Square
The Public Square, between 1900 and 1910
Nassau. The Queen's Staircase
The Queen's Staircase
Nassau. Victoria Avenue
Victoria Avenue

Photos posted on the website in accordance with Article 7, paragraph 1 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works of 9 September 1886, the term of protection which is fifty years after the author's death.

After this period photos it becomes public domain. The participants of the Berne Convention are 167 States.


Robinson Rd, CB 13862 Nassau, NP, The Bahamas
Flag Counter